Version 0.5.2 is a maintenance release of BleachBit, the free and open source file and privacy cleaner for Linux and Windows. BleachBit aims to be an easy, advanced, and smart way to clean junk including cache, cookies, Internet history, localizations, logs, and temporary files. BleachBit is better than freeware: it's open source.
This release is considered stable for Linux and a preview release for Windows. All users are encouraged to upgrade to this release.
The following changes are included since 0.5.1:
- Clean Pidgin (chat client).
- Clean Miro (Internet multimedia player) thanks to juancarlospaco.
- Enhance Vuze/Azureus to clean backup files.
- Clean OpenOffice.org 3.1 recent documents history.
- Fix bug preventing URL history of Firefox 1 and 2 to be cleaned.
- Fix error when cleaned size is negative.
- Specific to Linux
- Clean gedit thanks to Roman Horník.
- Clean Nexuiz thanks to juancarlospaco.
- Clean Firefox 3.5 beta on Ubuntu 9.04.
- Clean more espeak localizations on Ubuntu and avoid error message.
- Delete files in ~/.local/share/Trash/expunged (which can be left there by a Nautilus bug regarding files owned by other users).
- Enhance aMSN (chat client) to clean cache.
- Fix shredding of write-protected (read-only) files.
- Fix compatibility packaging BleachBit on Python 2.6 systems (such as Fedora 11).
- Don't ship Windows-only cleaners in Linux installation packages. Downstream packagers: please consider this change for your packages (a one line change each for .rpm and .deb in SVN r491).
- Publish RPM installation package for Fedora 11.
- Specific to Microsoft Windows
- Clean Winamp.
- Clean Yahoo! Messenger.
- Clean Windows temporary file folder.
- Workaround Python bug where in some cases BleachBit could not find files to clean because ~ did not translate to %USERPROFILE%.
- Update NSIS installer to 2.45 for better installation on Windows 7.
- Show BleachBit uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs.
- Use NRV2E instead of LZMA executable compression, so BleachBit will start faster.
- Fix shredding of Firefox URL history.
- Fix bug requiring user to confirm system-wide cleaners.
- Don't ship Linux-only cleaners in the Windows installation package.
- Add Dutch translation thanks to rob.
Want to help translate BleachBit?
- Add Hungarian translation thanks to alfa00red.
- Update Arabic thanks to MaXeR.
- Update Brazilian Portuguese thanks to A. Gabriel.
- Update Czech thanks to Roman Horník.
- Update German thanks to MixCool.
- Update Italian thanks to Luca Falavigna.
- Update Slovak thanks to milboy.
- Simplify some strings to make it easier for translators. (This is a work in progress.)
- On Windows when upgrading it's recommended you uninstall before installing the new BleachBit. In the future the installer will be improved.
- Internet Explorer index.dat files cannot be cleaned because they are in use (locked) by a running process. You will see a red error. (Other cleaner programs queue the Internet Explorer index.dat files for deletion during the user login process before Internet Explorer even starts.)
- On Windows when there is an exception (such as when a file can't be deleted), py2exe throws up an error dialog about a log file when exiting BleachBit.
- Do translations work on Windows? BleachBit 0.5.2 is in 19 languages. Please reply with a comment on the blog or a bug report.
Download BleachBit now. Installation packages are ready for 19 platforms including CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Windows.