Version 0.5.0 is a major release of BleachBit, the free and open source file and privacy cleaner for Linux and Windows. BleachBit aims to be an easy, advanced, and smart way to clean junk including cache, cookies, Internet history, localizations, logs, and temporary files.
This is an unstable release intended only for testing.
The following changes are included since 0.4.2:
- Add support for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
- Add convenient Windows installer (with all the dependencies included) and uninstaller .
- Add cleaners for Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Safari.
- Clean more cookies created by Macromedia/Adobe Flash.
- Enhance CleanerML to hide cleaners on unsupported operating systems (such as hiding WINE and Rhythmbox on Windows).
- Fixed bug "Bookmarks in Firefox can't be saved.".
- Change the cleaning and preview system from a thread to an idle function to support Windows. One nice side effect is closing BleachBit (with the X in the corner) during a cleaning operation immediately closes BleachBit and stops further cleaning. Another side effect is this change facilitates command line invocation of BleachBit (to be added later).
- Add Brazilian Portuguese translation thanks to A. Gabriel.
- Add Czech and Slovak translations thanks to Roman Horník.
- Add Serbian translation thanks to turncoat.
- Update Arabic translation thanks to MaXer.
- Update Danish translation thanks to Jimmy Frydkær Jensen.
- Update French translation thanks to Mathieu Pasquet.
- Installation may fail on Vista and Windows 7 with the error 'Error opening file for writing.' Make sure you right click on the installer .exe and choose 'Run as Administrator.'
- Internet Explorer index.dat files cannot be cleaned because they are in use (locked) by a running process. You will see a red error. (Other cleaner programs clean the MSIE index.dat files during the user login process before MSIE starts.)
- When running a preview in Windows 7 (and probably Vista) some files are listed twice. (This is harmless, but it inflates the preview size.)
- A few cleaners don't clean anything on Windows because they aren't yet updated for Windows.
- Localizations may not work on Windows, so BleachBit may appear in English even for languages with translations (over 10 languages). Would you please let me know?
- The Windows installer is a bit too large (because the GTK+ runtime is large).
- On Windows when there is an exception (such as when a file can't be deleted), py2exe throws up an error dialog about a log file when exiting BleachBit.
- On Windows shredding doesn't work.
- Windows virus scanners may not like that BleachBit uses UPX executable compression to reduce its disk space footprint. Please report any issues.
- BleachBit may delete TrueCrypt containers on Linux.
- Some unit tests may fail on Windows.
- The taskbar button on Windows 7 has the wrong icon.
- Installing BleachBit in the non-default location may cause it to lose some cleaners.
Download BleachBit now. Installation packages are ready for 18 platforms including CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Windows.